[Distutils] [buildout] develop vs extends/default.cfg

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Tue Jun 1 19:32:56 CEST 2010

Jim Fulton wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 9:22 AM, Chris Withers <chris at simplistix.co.uk> wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> What is the expected behaviour when the following are all true:
>>
>> - default.cfg has a develop key
>> - buildout.cfg has a develop key, and extends a base.bfg
>> - base.cfg has a develop key
>>
>> My hope is that all 3 should be set unioned for the develop options.
>>
>> However, my experience so far is that, at the least, the one in default.cfg
>> is ignored...
>
> When a file extends another, it's options *override* options in the

...except extends, which does appear to overlay, right?

> extended file unless you use += in the extending file, as in:
>
>   develop += foo

Hmm, okay, I think there's a bug lurking, please see attached .tgz
When I run the buildout in package1, only package1's folde ends up being
develop'ed.

The key appears to be the += for the develop key in base.bfg. If I
change that to just =, the behaviour seems as expected.
However, The += was very deliberate, so as to allow develop paths to be
specified user-wide in default.cfg, based on your advice above.

Interestingly, any paths in default.cfg's develop *do* end up being used
in the attached example.

Where/how should I report this?

cheers,

Chris