[Distutils] pip vs easy_install vs distutils2

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Thu Jun 3 10:24:09 CEST 2010

On 3 Jun, 2010, at 10:10, Tarek Ziadé wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 10:02 AM, Ronald Oussoren <ronaldoussoren at mac.com> wrote:

>>> If people use the old Distutils, (what I've called the current
>>> distutils), and trigger an installation via 'python setup.py install'.
>>> It'll use the existing code, so install it the 'old' way.
>>
>> I know that distutils in python 2. 6 and 3.1 won't support PEP 376, but why won't distutils conform to PEP 376 in python 2.7 and 3.2?
>> The RECORD file from PEP 376 would allow  manually installed package (e.g. "python setup.py install") to be further managed by a PEP 376 compliant install tool.  This should be pretty easy to add if it isn't in already, although 2.7rc1 is awfully close.
>
> Are you thinking about a full implicit switch to PEP 376, or an
> optional behavior ?

A full switch to PEP 376.  An option to enable/disable would just be confusing, any option increases the mental load of developers (and anyone that just wants to install a python package to use its functionality) and in this case I don't think adding an option would be worth that.

This would break current releases of tools that use the current "egg-info" information due to the different filesystem name (currently .egg-info, .dist-info in PEP 376), but those tools will have to be updated sometime anyway.

Ronald