[Distutils] pip vs easy_install vs distutils2

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Thu Jun 3 10:38:32 CEST 2010

On Thu, Jun 3, 2010 at 10:24 AM, Ronald Oussoren <ronaldoussoren at mac.com> wrote:
[..]
> A full switch to PEP 376.  An option to enable/disable would just be confusing, any option increases the mental load of developers (and anyone that just wants to install a python package to use its functionality) and in this case I don't think adding an option would be worth that.
>
> This would break current releases of tools that use the current "egg-info" information due to the different filesystem name (currently .egg-info, .dist-info in PEP 376), but those tools will have to be updated sometime anyway.

I don't see what would be the advantage, since we are adding in
pkgutil APIs (PEP 376 implementation) the ability to read old formats
as well, to make it easier to query what's installed. Plus, distutils
was marked "frozen" to avoid instability (any change in distutils
potentially breaks tools out there, even internal changes).

Regards
Tarek