[Distutils] Design rationale for the egg format ?

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Mon Jun 14 12:05:05 CEST 2010

David Cournapeau <cournape at gmail.com> writes:

> I have a few questions about the egg format implementation, and was
> hoping people who designed it could answer them:
[…]

> I tried to find a rationale for those, but could not find much info on
> distutils-sig or setuptools doc,

You might find it useful to read this archived thread:

    I've noticed that there seems to be a lot of confusion out there
    about what setuptools is and/or does, at least among Python-Dev
    folks, so I thought it might be a good idea to give an overview of
    its structure, so that people have a better idea of what is and
    isn't "magic".
    […]

    <URL:http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2006-April/064145.html>

It goes into some amount of detail on the background and rationale for
Setuptools and its early design decisions.

--
 \        “Sane people have an appropriate perspective on the relative |
  `\     importance of foodstuffs and human beings. Crazy people can't |