[Distutils] [Catalog-sig] Proposal: Move PyPI static data to the cloud for better availability

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Jun 15 22:00:18 CEST 2010

> Is there any Nagios monitoring in place or is there the need to have
> some external reliability monitoring in place?

There is no external monitoring in place that I know of. I know ZC had
some monitoring that was supposed to send me an email, but that was
setup a few years ago, and recently didn't report the downtime.

My own mirroring reported the downtime (indirectly, by reporting that it
couldn't mirror anymore); this is how I noticed one of the recent outages.

> I can set up a Nagios machine to check the HTTP status of PyPi.

If it's easy to setup: why not? What exactly would that check?

>> As you said, we may have the same problem in the future on all
>> mirroring nodes ...
>
> Yes, there should be some more investigative work be done on the reason
> of the apparent unreliability.

The pep381mirror software produces a set of static files on the mirror,
so you don't need to run PyPI itself. I merely use Apache to serve the
PyPI mirrors.

Regards,
Martin