[Distutils] PyPI template improvements

Simon de Vlieger simon at ikanobori.jp
Wed Jun 16 23:14:11 CEST 2010

Hey all,

the recent activity on this mailinglist has kickstarted my
contributing sense. As long as the mirroring debate is still ongoing I
will focus my efforts somewhere else. Namely: the HTML/Javascript/CSS.

In this regard I have a few questions before I really dig into these
templates:

- - Is there a list of improvements, maybe a nice TODO of points which
people want to see improved?
- - How are design changes handled, is there a committee to run them
through? People who decide on what gets in and what not? (I'll outline
some of my first thoughts lower in this mail)
- - What are the supported browser versions by PyPI, I reckon it's
IE6/7/8+, Fx 2+, Opera 9+ Safari 4+?

The changes I have on my personal 'todo list' are:
- - Add labels to all forms.
- - Make tables consistent width (see for example the table in the top
of the "Browse packages" page and compare with the table when you
actually select one of the classifiers).
- - Restyle the metadata display on package pages and move it up in the
page.
- - Have downloads readily available on the right side of the screen (at
least the latest release).
- - Look sternly at the top right floating account information page.
- - Look at the your details page where the form does not align with the
right floating profile box.
- - Make one consistent styling for all forms. Include help texts in all
forms.

There are more things I want to do, but this is the start.

I have already cloned Tarek's PyPI clone on Bitbucket and I'll add my
changes there.

Is there anything you guys (and the users) would really like to see
improved?

Regards,

Simon de Vlieger