[Distutils] comparing version strings?

Alexis Métaireau ametaireau at gmail.com
Fri Jun 25 14:04:58 CEST 2010

Chris,

You also can use the distutils2.version module. I've documented them in my
fork [1], waiting to be merged upstream for now, but the codebase of the
first (alpha) release of distutils2 [2] ship with the distutils2.version
module.

This respect version specifiers as described in PEP 354 [3], and I think
it's the good way to compare version numbers for the future.

Hope it helps, bug reports and/or any feedback is welcome !
Cheers,
Alexis

[1]
http://bitbucket.org/ametaireau/distutils2/src/tip/docs/source/version.rst
[2] http://pypi.python.org/pypi/Distutils2/1.0a1
[3] http://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0345/#version-specifiers

On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 11:43 AM, Adam GROSZER <agroszer at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Chris,
>
> See:
> from distutils.version import StrictVersion
>
> and
>
> svn://
> svn.zope.org/repos/main/Sandbox/adamg/zope.wineggbuilder/trunk/src/zope/wineggbuilder/build.py
>
> Friday, June 25, 2010, 11:34:59 AM, you wrote:
>
> CW> Hi All,
>
> CW> Is there any any in setuptools/distutils/anything else that I can use
> CW> compare version strings using the same rules as setuptools?
>
> CW> ie: sort the following list of versions:
>
> CW> 1.0
> CW> 2.0dev-r22542-20100623
> CW> 2.0dev-r22553-20100624
> CW> 2.0