[Distutils] bdist_wininst compatibility with pythons and windows versions

anatoly techtonik techtonik at gmail.com
Sat Jun 26 11:29:05 CEST 2010

On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 1:39 PM, David Cournapeau <cournape at gmail.com> wrote:
>> In addition bdist_wininst generates spurious warning about missing
>> "necessary compiler setting" when run on Linux with an instruction to
>> make sure win32* modules are installed (which are of course not).
> Use wine and the issue disappears. I built a few official numpy/scipy
> releases this way, and it works very well. There are issues on 64
> bits, but I doubt that's an issue for scons or trac,

SCons is pure Python. I can't see why it should use Wine of MS
compiler for windows installer when all necessary binary code pieces
are already available in Python distribution. The choice of correct
binary stub depends on compiler Python was built with - this is what I
would like to see in Python 2.7 even though it is probably late.

Mark, can you compile a list of features and windows/python version
compatibility provided by each stub to evaluate what is the best stub
to use with pure Python modules?

anatoly t.