[Distutils] bdist_wininst compatibility with pythons and windows versions

David Cournapeau cournape at gmail.com
Sun Jun 27 03:35:23 CEST 2010

On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 6:29 PM, anatoly techtonik <techtonik at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 1:39 PM, David Cournapeau <cournape at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> In addition bdist_wininst generates spurious warning about missing
>>> "necessary compiler setting" when run on Linux with an instruction to
>>> make sure win32* modules are installed (which are of course not).
>>
>> Use wine and the issue disappears. I built a few official numpy/scipy
>> releases this way, and it works very well. There are issues on 64
>> bits, but I doubt that's an issue for scons or trac,
>
> SCons is pure Python. I can't see why it should use Wine of MS
> compiler for windows installer when all necessary binary code pieces
> are already available in Python distribution.

I know that it does not work today with distutils, I am just saying
that you can do today what you want on Linux if you are willing to use
wine.

> The choice of correct
> binary stub depends on compiler Python was built with - this is what I
> would like to see in Python 2.7 even though it is probably late.

AFAIK, the stub does not matter if you don't have compiled extensions
- but even if you choose the right stub, it would still not work
because the exe needs information encoded in mbcs, which is not
available on Linux.  This may be fixable, though, I don't know what
the mbcs encoding is, except that it is windows specific.

David