[Distutils] easy_install wrong download site preference

P.J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Wed Jun 30 18:54:07 CEST 2010

At 09:59 AM 6/30/2010 +0300, anatoly techtonik wrote:
>Hello,
>
>protobuf project have problems with installing via easy_install. One
>part of problem is that the project provides versioned archives
>unrelated to Python that `easy_install` threats as Python packages.
>Corresponding package with the same version number was uploaded to
>PyPI archive, but the easy_install still downloads archive from Google
>Code. Why? I though easy_install should prefer PyPI package.

It prefers newer packages, or, if the versions are the same, it
prefers the shortest download URL.  In this case, the Google Code url
is shorter.

>Is it possible to raise the priority of PyPI mirror for protobuf
>project somehow?

No.  If (e.g.)
http://pypi.python.org/packages/source/p/protobuf/protobuf-2.3.0.tar.gz
and http://protobuf.googlecode.com/files/protobuf-2.3.0.tar.gz aren't
equivalent files, they should not be named the same thing --
especially since this practice can confuse humans as well as easy_install.

On a practical level, if it's too late for the Python project to use
a different name,  I would suggest changing the PyPI homepage links
(for current and past releases) to point to a Python-specific project
page, that does not contain links to download the generic, non-Python
package.  This will keep easy_install from considering them as
candidates for downloading.

(Note: you will have to go into PyPI's administration interface and
manually change the home page link for *all past versions* as well,
due to the way the /simple index works.)