[Distutils] Fwd: The fate of Distutils in Python 2.7

Fred Drake fdrake at acm.org
Mon Mar 1 20:27:41 CET 2010

On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 2:17 PM, K. Richard Pixley <rich at noir.com> wrote:
> It's not clear to me that there's much need for new packaging tools in older
> versions.

I've certainly found it useful to use distribute under Python 2.4.
There are still a lot of people using Python 2.4.

I think the general rule for packaging tools is that you want one that
supports all the versions of Python you're using.  Given that there
are good reasons to try again, it's reasonable to support 2.4.

Migrating to newer versions can take a significant transition period
for some applications.

  -Fred