[Distutils] RFC: Barely minimal CI + tests + packaging in Python WAS: Guidelines for where to put tests & how to package them

Olemis Lang olemis at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 20:47:18 CET 2010

On Mon, Mar 1, 2010 at 2:22 PM, Chris Withers <chris at simplistix.co.uk> wrote:
> P.J. Eby wrote:
>>
>> At 10:41 AM 2/25/2010 -0500, Olemis Lang wrote:
>>>
>>> PS: BTW, how could I trigger easy_install(ation) at a given point
>>> while implementing a distutils command, and let the command perform
>>> further actions if deps are installed correctly ?
>>
>> Setuptools' "Distribution" object has a method for fetching dependencies.
>>  See setuptools' "test" command for an example.  (This doesn't install the
>> dependencies globally, just drops eggs into the build directory.  But
>> they're there and available to be reused for installation in a later phase,
>> under normal circumstances.)
>
> ...which is all pretty grim. If you use this with other packaging tools,
> like, say, buildout, the testing dependencies just get dumped into your
> buildout, which is a bit yucky to put it mildly.
>
> How about putting them where other eggs get put but only making them
> available for the tests?

something like develop ?

> Failing that, how about putting them somewhere temporary?

I am not sure but I think there's an option to specify the build
directory (CMIIW). AFAIK (not tested ;o) what happens is that build
command is executed so I suppose that if options are specified for
this command then it should be parse, accept and use the target dir,
isn't it ?

{{{
$ python setup.py --help build
Common commands: (see '--help-commands' for more)

[...]

Global options:
[...]

Options for 'build' command:
[...]
  --build-temp (-t)  temporary build directory
[...]
}}}

PS: just a comment, but I'd really wanna know if I'm wrong because I
wanted to try something similar @ testrun.org in order to perform
concurrent builds ;o)

--
Regards,