[Distutils] zc.buildout - macros extending macros

Martin Aspeli optilude+lists at gmail.com
Wed Mar 3 07:36:17 CET 2010

Possibly related to my earlier email about the ordering of extends
lines, but also possibly a bug or missing feature:

I have a buildout.cfg that extends instance.cfg and prod.cfg:

extends = instance.cfg prod.cfg

In instance.cfg, I have:

recipe = plone.recipe.zope2instance
user = admin:admin

In prod.cfg:

<= instance
debug-mode = off
cache-size = 10000

<= prod-instance
http-address = 8001

<= prod-instance
http-address = 8002

The idea is that shared instance settings (which are also used in a
debug.cfg) are kept in [instance], but ones specific to the production
server are kept in [prod-instance], and instance1...N are clones of the
prod-instance that only vary the port.

Unfortunately, the options from [instance] don't seem to make it into
[instance1] or [instance2]. In other words, the macro doesn't seem to be
evaluated "transitively".

Am I doing something wrong, or is this just not supported?