[Distutils] Pypy and site.py and makepath

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Fri Mar 12 21:29:40 CET 2010

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 3:20 PM, Lennart Regebro <regebro at gmail.com> wrote:
> What exactly is site.py for?

site.py is run when your interpreter starts. It loads a few things in
the builtins, and add some paths
in sys.path (like per-user paths, etc)

> I tried installing Distribute with PyPy,
> and it fails, because if you start it, it runs site.py, and site.py
> uses makepath, but doesn't import or define it, so it fails.
>
> Running the tests with python2.6 and it seems site.py is never run,
> but removing it makes the tests fail.
>
> Any insight into this?

the tests in py26 at CPYthon definitely runs site.py, but since its
before the interpreter is fully available, I am not sure if you can
trace it easily.

now for PyPy, I am not sure how the stdlib works with it. Isn't that forked ?

Tarek Ziadé | http://ziade.org