[Distutils] How to specific metadata version in setup.py?

Sridhar Ratnakumar sridharr at activestate.com
Fri Mar 19 22:10:46 CET 2010

My package's PKG-INFO defaults to 1.0 metadata version. I tried searching http://docs.python.org/distutils/ to know how to specify 1.2 as the metadata version (so I can include Classifiers[1], maintainer* fields in it), but couldn't find any. Does anyone know? Shouldn't this be documented in http://docs.python.org/distutils/setupscript.html which talks about these additional fields in section 2.8?

-srid

[1] Evidently, some packages in PyPI do not have 'Classifiers' in their metadata (PKG-INFO) despite specifying it in the setup.py.