[Distutils] repeatable and updatable virtualenv

Saint Germain saintger at gmail.com
Mon Mar 22 10:20:42 CET 2010

2010/3/22 Chris Withers <chris at simplistix.co.uk>:

>> I'm currently trying more or less the same thing by combining buildout
>> with virtualenv and pip.
>
> This doesn't seem like a sane thing to do.
>
> These tools attempt to address the same problems in different ways.
> Attempting to mash them together as it appears you have does nothing but
> result in an overcomplicated solution that's likely to be more fragile than
> if you'd worked with either buildout or pip/virtualenv on their own.

Well I mainly wanted to set up environment using virtualenv+pip and it
worked pretty well.
However there were a lot of steps involved and I wanted to automated
the process.
So I just get the virtualenv + pip recipe and voilà !
Nothing overcomplicated, and a fallback to manually install everything
is always possible (indeed with the recipe, it's very simple, and they
are just a mean to automatically call virtualenv or pip).

I thought that buildout was designed for just that, am I wrong ?