[Distutils] Releasing eggs as .tar.gz with setuptools or zc.buildout

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Wed Mar 24 18:35:05 CET 2010

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 6:24 PM, Fred Drake <fdrake at acm.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 12:48 PM, Baiju M <mbaiju at zeomega.com> wrote:
>> Can you give some pointer how you are creating RPMs for
>> the binary eggs (eg:- zope.interface ) Any tool available ?
>
> The RPM is built using the normal RPM tools: we write a spec file,
> then run rpmbuild in what we think are the normal ways.  Nothing
> special is needed.
>
>> These RPMs are for entire buildout or individual eggs ?
>
> For the entire buildout, since they're applications.  We use a
> separate package (RPM) with a "clean" Python (nothing in
> site-packages!) that won't be affected by general system updates.

We use to do the same but we build the isolated buildout using
collective.releaser.

The tool is a script that creates a binary zip containing the built
buildout, that can be re-run
on a similar arch without any web access.

It also has features like patch creation for buildout (will create a
small archive with a patch
to be applied on an existing buildout for upgrades)

I think the tool is still maintained by Ingeniweb but under-documented

Tarek Ziadé | http://ziade.org