[Distutils] [Python-Dev] At least one package management tool for 2.7

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Thu Mar 25 13:09:43 CET 2010

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 12:54 PM, Olemis Lang <olemis at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 6:19 PM, Tarek Ziadé <ziade.tarek at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 10:44 PM, Carl Meyer <carl at dirtcircle.com> wrote:
>>
> [...]
>>
>> I am thinking about a version of pip that would be built on the top of
>> distutils2,
>>

> AFAICR there's a switch to use distribute instead of easy_install (CMIIW)

I apologize, I know it's hard to follow.  Basically what happens is
that our roadmap and work gets refocused at the language summit. It's
for the best results possible, but the caveat is that it's harder to
follow what's going on.

So:

Distribute is a fork of Setuptools  (compatible with it) and last year
we started to work on a new version of it, that would contain all the
new design work. Distribute has also an easy_install script.

What happened then is that we decided during the summit to freeze
distutils in the stdlib, and work outside of the stdlib for a while,
with no backward compat' headaches. This is also to keep a good
stability in the fragile packaging eco-system for Python 2.7 and 3.2 :
everytime I change a line (any line) in distutils, a penguin dies.
(and a project somewhere might break).

So the new work is happening now in a project called "distutils2"
which is using distutils as a basis. The improvements made in
distribute (like py3 support) will be moved to distutils2, and all
PEPs we've recently accepted are implemented there too. One of the PEP
adds all major setuptools innovations, like the requirements at the
project level.

And that makes distutils2 a target for the pip installer.

Summary of the state :
http://guide.python-distribute.org/introduction.html#current-state-of-packaging

Regards
Tarek