[Distutils] Releasing eggs as .tar.gz with setuptools or zc.buildout

Reinout van Rees reinout at vanrees.org
Thu Mar 25 16:30:49 CET 2010

On 03/24/2010 05:40 PM, Fred Drake wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 12:22 PM, Baiju M<mbaiju at zeomega.com>  wrote:
>> May be this will be useful:
>> http://pypi.python.org/pypi/zc.sourcerelease
>
> It sounds to me like Martin's problem isn't getting source releases,
> but in deploying them on systems without compilers and other tools.
>
> What we're doing at Zope Corporation is building source releases
> (using zc.sourcerelease as Baiju suggested),

zc.sourcerelease works fine.  I've got one thing I need to fix in it:
distribute support.  I've got distribute installed globally and
zc.sourcerelease has 'setuptools' hardcoded.  Corner case.

I'll probably make a branch for it, ok?

> and then building
> packages that the system package management tools can use from those
> source releases.  (In our case the packages are RPMs, but it could be
> anything.)

I experimented this week to create debian packages with
zc.sourcerelease.  Fun!  I didn't finish it yet, though.  There was one
question that I couldn't figure out yet:

*How do you get buildout to build in a subdirectory?*  I mean, you can
give gnu's autoconf mechanism a base prefix argument so that everything
gets installed into /where/I/build/usr/lib/something instead of
/usr/lib/something.

If I run buildout, it uses absolute directories, so /where/I/build/ will
still be in the paths.  My "solution" would be to use debian to get the
big .tgz into the target dir and then to run "python install.py" in a
post-install hook or so.

But... I'm probably missing something.  As you're making RPMs you
probably have a solution ready :-)

Reinout

--
Reinout van Rees - reinout at vanrees.org - http://reinout.vanrees.org