[Distutils] Full egg name

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Fri Mar 26 15:58:16 CET 2010

On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 3:40 PM, Martin Raspaud <martin.raspaud at smhi.se> wrote:

> Tarek Ziadé skrev:
>> On Fri, Mar 26, 2010 at 3:09 PM, Martin Raspaud <martin.raspaud at smhi.se> wrote:
>> [..]
>>> Packaging an entire buildout environment is not really an option I think, since
>>> we have several projects using the same eggs, and we think it would be cleaner
>>> to share them (I'm thinking especially of big eggs, like scipy and numpy).
>>>

>> It really depends on your needs and constraints.  I had to ship full
>> releases to customers.
>>
>> In your case, you could share the same downloads and eggs folders on
>> your productions servers maybe,
>
> Yes, indeed.
>
>> or run your own PyPI private server to serve the archives to your
>> buildouts when they claim it.
>
> That looks tempting, but is it possible to have a private pypi server
> distributing binary (ready compiled) eggs ?
>
> I explore these options anyway.

Yes it is possible, if you upload them to your pypi with:

$ python setup.py bdist_egg register -r YOURPYPI upload -r YOURPYPY

You can use chisop, eggbasket, or PloneSoftwareCenter. (and maybe others)

The last one is great if you want to have a developer's website around
your packages,
will a lot of extra features.

It's overkill if you don't need a website.

That's the one in use at http://plone.org/products

Regards
Tarek