[Distutils] Integrating the packaging guide

John Posner jjposner at optimum.net
Fri Mar 26 21:13:12 CET 2010

On 3/21/2010 11:52 AM, John Posner wrote:

>> Thanks for joining and welcome to the team. And Don't Panic ;-)

Not panicking, exactly ...

I've looked over the entire Hitchhiker's Guide. After a very nice Quick
Start and pretty good initial sections in "Introduction to Packaging",
things start to get more stream-of-consciousness-y and (to me)
confusing. This seems to reflect the real world -- the "Current State of
Packaging" diagram shows that this area of Python functionality is in a
state of flux.

Here's a bunch of questions -- not necessarily orthogonal to each other
-- concerning the Guide. I'm posting to the entire SIG, to see if
there's consensus out there.

1. What is the intended relationship between the Hitchhiker's Guide, a
short document, and these much lengthier documents:

For *distutils* --

Distributing Python Modules (http://docs.python.org/distutils/index.html)
Installing Python Modules (http://docs.python.org/install/index.html)

For *setuptools* --

Building and Distributing Packages with setuptools
(http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/setuptools)

For *distribute* --

Welcome to Distribute’s documentation!
(http://packages.python.org/distribute/)

2. In the many areas where disutils/setuptools/distribute provide
overlapping functionality, should the Hitchhiker's Guide promote *the
one best way* to accomplish a task, or should it compare and contrast
the various ways?

3. Should the Hitchhiker's Guide be an overview document, with
cross-refs to large sections of the disutils/setuptools/distribute
documents? Or should it be a detailed document, with (many more)
cross-refs to detail sections of the disutils/setuptools/distribute
documents?

Thanks for helping me get up to speed ...

-John