[Distutils] [Python-Dev] Bootstrap script for package management tool in Python 2.7 (Was: Re: At least one package management tool for 2.7)

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 14:10:52 CEST 2010

anatoly techtonik wrote:
> So, there won't be any package management tool shipped with Python 2.7
> and users will have to download and install `setuptools` manually as
> before:

Until the discussed package management tools support a robust inventory
and uninstallation system that plays well with directly installed Python
packages, you won't find widespread support on python-dev for endorsing
any of them.

Yes, the people who use them love them for good and valid reasons, but
those who absolutely detest them also do so for good and valid reasons.
While this is still the case, it would be highly inappropriate for
python-dev to include bootstrap scripts that direct users to these
systems, as they're all flawed in their current incarnations (this isn't
the packaging systems' fault - the flaws are largely due to a lack of
supporting infrastructure in the standard library).

The distutils2 work and the various metadata PEPs that have been
approved recently are all about addressing those limitations in the
infrastructure. With those in place and flowing through the Python
package management ecosystem, bootstrapping interoperable package
management tools is likely to become a reasonable option in the future.
But we aren't there yet, and won't be for 2.7 or 3.2. From an outsider's
perspective, the 3.3 time frame appears to be very possible though.

Regards,
Nick.