[Distutils] Beta release of zc.buildout 1.5.0

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Sat May 1 10:35:41 CEST 2010

On Fri, Apr 30, 2010 at 11:17 PM, Jim Fulton <jim at zope.com> wrote:
[..]
>> There's a big problem in our ecosystem:  PyPI + our various installers
>> don't have the concept of "beta" release. Any new release is
>> considered to be the latest release.
>
> buildout does. :)
>
> buildout has a prefer-final option.
>
> Including:
>
>  [buildout]
>  prefer-final = true
>
> Will cause buildout to only use final release unless there are
> no final releases that satisfy a requirement.
>
> Using this option will cause buildout to automatically downgrade
> itself if it previously upgraded to a non-final release. In buildout 2,
> prefer-final true will be the default.

Ah, great !   on PyPI side, we will be able to mark releases as being
beta thanks to PEP 386.
Maybe the simple index could differentiate them somehow.

[..]
>> Last but not least, I think this auto-upgrade feature zc.buildout
>> should be removed.  I'd be in favor of an explicit update of this
>> software, rather than having zc.buildout auto-upgrading itself like
>> this.
>
> I find auto update to be useful, but I wouldn't object to a manual
> command:
>
>  bin/buildout upgrade
>
> It would be easier to implement than what we have now.

+1. An explicit upgrade step would be perfect: people won't have to
prevent auto-upgrades
by adding options. I am wondering how hard it would be to apply the
same principal
to all eggs in the buildout, but maybe this is a bit out of scope

Tarek
--
Tarek Ziadé | http://ziade.org