[Distutils] developing & managing multiple packages with dependencies

Christophe Pradal christophe.pradal at cirad.fr
Fri May 7 16:01:35 CEST 2010

Le 06/05/2010 23:53, Brad Allen a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> I'm looking for case studies or other examples of management of a
> development/test/build/QA/release process involving lots of Python
> packages with dependencies.

Our context is a research teams working togeteher and integrating
different packages both in Python and C, C++ and Fortran.

We use buildbot for the continuous integration. All the stages (build,
installation, test, QA upload) are done using setuptools.
Each package is
   - built (C, C++ and Fortran) using scons integrated with setuptools.
   - install, test, QA
   - egg are cretaed with the version (X.Y.Z) and svn revision. It
depends on the exact revision number of each its dependencies for binary
compatibility.

Finally the eggs are upload on a central repository.
It is quite inflexible if you use Python packages, but it is needed when
you use binary packages with cross dependencies.

cheers
Christophe