[Distutils] [buildout] extending a .cfg supplied by another package

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Wed May 12 21:51:19 CEST 2010

On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 8:17 AM, Chris Withers <chris at simplistix.co.uk> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'd like to be able to do:
>
> [buildout]
> extends=some.package:aconfig.cfg

That's an interesting idea.

> ...kinda like you can with templates in BFG, which I believe uses pkg_tools
> to do the hard work.
>
> What're the chances of that happening?

Low, in the short term. A good first step would be to work out a
somewhat detailed proposal including:

- Descriptions of specific situations where this would solve a
  problem, with specific examples of how the proposed meachanism would
  be applied.

- A syntax proposal.  It has to address distinguishing file paths from
  urls from these new things. I suspect these should be expressed as
  URLs, e.g.:

     project://some.project/aconfig.cfg

I'll note that I suspect you can do this now using a buildout
extension that installs a new URL handler in urtllib2.

Jim

--
Jim Fulton