[Distutils] using sub_commands in distutils

P.J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Fri May 14 18:03:43 CEST 2010

At 05:53 PM 5/14/2010 +0200, Manlio Perillo wrote:
>By the way: in order to get messages compiled, should I just subclass
>build and develop commands?

I don't understand your question.

Do you mean "should I just subclass the 'build' command and the
'develop' command"? or "should I just subclass the 'build' command
and develop my own commands based on that?" or "should I just
subclass the 'build' command and develop my own commands from scratch
without subclassing?"

Personally, however, if I had to do what you're doing, I'd package a
build_mo command as a setuptools plugin, and add it to my
build_requires dependencies.  That way, I could use it with multiple
projects.  I'd still have to do the short 'build' subclass in the
setup.py, but it's not a lot of code to add.