[Distutils] [buildout] extending a .cfg supplied by another package

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Mon May 17 18:02:22 CEST 2010

Tres Seaver wrote:
> Unlike other hose config files are almost never normal "package data" --
> they are practically always kept at the top level of the project
> checkout, along with other "packaging metdata" like setup.py,
> README.txt, etc.  I just checked, and sure enough, *none* of those files
> are present in "installed" eggs, which makes the whole idea a good deal
> less practical / valuable:  neither your path-based syntax nor my entry
> point is going to have the file available.

Indeed, this is an annoying bug I bumped into before:
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/distutils-sig/2008-August/009900.html
...I remember it being an insane interaction of add and remvoe lists
somewhere deep in distutils :-/

Still, if the .cfg was in a folder, then it should be possible to treat
it as a normal package_resource, which would work fine with my pattern,
where the root buildout.cfg is for that package only, and anything
designed to be extended (generally a base.cfg and a versions.cfg) could
be in a subfolder.

When I get a chance (which may be never!) I'm going to have a go at
doing my idea (enhanced by Jim's suggestion of urllib2 url handlers!) as
a buildout extension.

Thoughts welcome!

cheers,

Chris