[Distutils] [buildout] extending a .cfg supplied by another package

Tres Seaver tseaver at palladion.com
Mon May 17 17:37:04 CEST 2010

Chris Withers wrote:
>>> I'd propose egg://some.dotted.name/config.cfg
>> I think egg:some.dotted.name#config.cfg would be clearer:  the
>> "hierarchical" URL form is misleading.
> How so? The .cfg could be a file in a folder in the egg, same as a
> template for bfg...

The hierarchical form URLs (containing ';//') imply an "authority"
section (aka "nethost").

>> We could even adopt the
>> convention that such config files needed to be registered as entry
>> points under some given section, e.g.:
> I don't see what purpose this would serve. I was ancticipating them
> being just like any other package_resource...

Unlike other hose config files are almost never normal "package data" --
they are practically always kept at the top level of the project
checkout, along with other "packaging metdata" like setup.py,
README.txt, etc.  I just checked, and sure enough, *none* of those files
are present in "installed" eggs, which makes the whole idea a good deal
less practical / valuable:  neither your path-based syntax nor my entry
point is going to have the file available.

- --
Tres Seaver          +1 540-429-0999          tseaver at palladion.com
Version: GnuPG v1.4.9 (GNU/Linux)