[Distutils] Script for easy access to the coverage report on distutils2

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Mon May 24 22:26:53 CEST 2010

On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 10:05 PM, Barry Warsaw <barry at python.org> wrote:
> On May 23, 2010, at 06:41 PM, Tarek Ziadé wrote:
>
>>Notice that this script is the basis for the soon-to-be-set Hudson CI server,
>>so we will be able to run a daily coverage report of some sort we can
>>publish -- if you
>>take care of making it possible to output HTML.
>
> Tarek,
>
> Can you describe this a bit more?  Did I miss some discussion on distutils-sig
> about it?
>
> What I really want is a CI system that could run over all the packages on the
> Cheeseshop (or any other collection of Python packages, e.g. say in a
> Debian/Ubuntu repository), and run a standard test suite, providing some
> feedback as to the general health of the package on various versions of
> Python.  I think a standard interface should be 'python setup.py test'.
> Packages don't have adhere to this standard but if they did, we could perhaps
> offer some nice carrots, like a star rating on Cheeseshop, detailed reports,
> etc.
>
> If something like this doesn't exist, I'm willing and available to work on it.

Hello Barry,

Several things here :

1- a test command is going to be added in distutils2, and discussions
have started on this feature, which is part of one GSOC project for
Distutils2. See a summary of tasks here:
http://wiki.python.org/moin/SummerOfCode/Distutils2 , and the GSOC
who's who here:
http://bitbucket.org/tarek/distutils2/wiki/GSoC_2010_teams. Michael,
Titus and other ppl have started to discuss this test command, looking
at setuptools' one and thinking about having "python setup.py test" as
a standard.

2- there's a GSOC project I have proposed, and that is being mentored
by Jesse Noller, that will work on creating a CI system that will run
various tests on packages uploaded at PyPI. The hardest part here is
to run in a protected environment that is "cleaned up" everytime a new
package is tested. So we'll script Virtual Machines, and get reports
back, and we will probably use the PubHubSomething interface for this.
The goal of this project is to come up with a CI system over PyPI, and
eventually ask the PSF to host it.

Any help on 1/ or 2/ is welcome !

Now for distutils2 itself, what we said at the GSOC meeting is that we
wanted to setup up a CI for its code, before the GSOC starts. It has a
runtests.py script right now that looks like test_distutils from the
stdlib, and use the test command interface as soon as it is added in
distutils2.

Yannick wants to have coverage, so he added an option to that script.
Maybe, somehow, coverage and other metrics could be part of the test
standard calling interface we want. I am not sure how this could look
though, if we want to stay generic and avoid a dependency on a
specific test tool (e.g. unittest vs nose vs ..)

Regards
Tarek

Tarek Ziadé | http://ziade.org