[Distutils] "Out of source" bdist_egg, missing metadata

Augusto Destrero destrero at imavis.com
Thu May 27 16:38:40 CEST 2010

Thank you for your suggestion. I solved changing my structure a little bit:

python_libs/
|---- src
|     |---- setup_foo.py
|     |---- foo
|     |     |---- __init__.py
|     |     |---- foo_module.py
|     |---- bar
|     |     |---- __init__.py
|     |     |---- bar_module.py
|     |---- common
|     |     |---- __init__.py
|     |     |---- common_module.py

And changed setup_foo.py like this:

setup(name='foo',
      version='0.1',
      description="foo and common packages",
      packages=find_packages(exclude=['bar', 'bar.*']),
      zip_safe=False,

Now everything works as expected. Maybe as you said an "out of source" build
is not well supported.

> Split the packages, then, that's by far the best solution. Handle the
> aggregation at a higher level using one of the existing tool (either
> python tool, or system packaging tool depending on your preference).

That's of course a good idea, but for now my project is made up of just three
packages and I find this solution quite handy.

Thanks again!

--
Augusto Destrero