[Distutils] Having a Python package install itself under a different name

P.J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Fri May 28 02:36:42 CEST 2010

At 01:11 AM 5/28/2010 +0200, cool-RR wrote:
>The thing I want the most right now is anyone's opinion of what
>could possibly go wrong with the scheme that P.J. offered, before I
>start moving my codebase to it.

It's quite routine.  Certainly, few of my PyPI projects have the same
project and package name.  For example, 'Importing' contains the
module 'peak.util.imports'.

It's also done by many other packages I'm not involved with.  For
example, 'AeroCalc' is the PyPI name of a project that ships an
'aerocalc' package, 'AdjectorClient' ships various packages such as
adjector.core and adjector.model...  and those are just two things I
found by randomly clicking on the A's in the giant list of PyPI packages!

I'm sure there will be some found in every letter of the alphabet.  ;-)

The only thing that can go wrong is if somebody installs the Python 2
and Python 3 versions to the same installation location.  However, as
long as both versions alert the user when used on the wrong Python
version, they will quickly discover their mistake.  ;-)