[Distutils] M2Crypto install failing

Leonardo Rochael Almeida leorochael at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 10:57:41 CET 2010

With this simple buildout:

parts = m2c

recipe = zc.recipe.egg
eggs =

I'm getting this failure:

Installing 'M2Crypto'.
We have no distributions for M2Crypto that satisfies 'M2Crypto'.
Getting distribution for 'M2Crypto'.
Running easy_install:
/usr/bin/python "-c" "from setuptools.command.easy_install import
main; main()" "-mUNxd" "/home/leo/opt/m2cryptotest/eggs/tmp5wm_oK"
"-q" "/tmp/tmphof_2Jget_dist/M2Crypto-0.20.2.win32.zip"

error: Couldn't find a setup script in
An error occured when trying to install M2Crypto 0.20.2.win32. Look
above this message for any errors that were output by easy_install.
  Installing m2c.
  Getting distribution for 'M2Crypto'.
Error: Couldn't install: M2Crypto 0.20.2.win32

AFAICT, This is due to the fact that M2Crypto win32 egg available here:

And linked from the project "Home Page" as registered on PyPI takes
precedence over the package stored here:

And linked from the PyPI page itself.

If I'm not mistaken, this is also because "win32" in
M2Crypto-0.20.2.win32.zip looks like part of the version, and not the

Is this analysis correct?

Is there a quick way to blacklist this package in buildout or setuptools?

For the record, I can work-around this by downloading the right
M2Crypto package, then doing:

bin/buildout setup src/M2Crypto-0.20.2 bdist_egg

and moving and unpacking the generated egg in the egg cache directory,
but this is really ugly.