[Distutils] easy_install best match issue

Alan Franzoni mailing at franzoni.eu
Mon Oct 11 00:07:53 CEST 2010

I've just run into a strange issue I'm not able to solve without further
info. Maybe it's a problem with Macports or with my config.

I'm trying to install the "byteplay" pypi module on macosx 10.6.4,
python 2.6.6 built by Macports, distribute 0.6.14 installed.

So here I go:

melquiades:/ alan$ sudo /opt/local/bin/easy_install-2.6 byteplay
Searching for byteplay
Reading http://pypi.python.org/simple/byteplay/
Reading http://code.google.com/p/byteplay
Reading http://code.google.com/p/byteplay/downloads/list
Best match: byteplay 0.2.linux-i686
Processing byteplay-0.2.linux-i686.tar.gz
error: Couldn't find a setup script in
melquiades:/ alan$

There're two separate issues I see here:

- why does easy_install pick the dumb binary dist as the best match even
though prebuilt eggs are available?
- why does macosx easy_install pick a LINUX dumb binary dist as the best

This is the download page:

Alan Franzoni
contact me at public@[mysurname].eu