[Distutils] zc.buildout and "System Python"

Mathieu Leduc-Hamel marrakis at gmail.com
Thu Oct 28 03:02:08 CEST 2010

Hi Eric,

>From my understanding, it's officially supported by buildout, but the
problem is that the recipe should support it too. Then, depending of
which recipe you are using, you have to make sure it support it.

There's a flag you can use for that, as somebody told on this list:

See http://pypi.python.org/pypi/zc.buildout#working-with-a-system-python,
especially the bits about include-site-packages = false and
exec-sitecustomize = false.

Tell me if it work well on your side...

mathieu

On Wed, Oct 27, 2010 at 6:07 PM, Eric Lemoine
<eric.lemoine at camptocamp.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 10:53 AM, Eric Lemoine
> <eric.lemoine at camptocamp.com> wrote:
>> Hi
>>
>> I'm currently switching to zc.buildout 1.5. I've been looking at
>> having a Python environment that is fully isolated from the main,
>> system-wide Python environment.
>>
>> Can you confirm that zc.buildout 1.5 supports that?
>>
>> Does this imply working with a "System Python"?
>>
>> The term "System Python" confuses me a bit, as what I want is an
>> environment that is isolated from the system-wide Python environment?
>> So could someone please explain what a "System Python" refers to
>> exactly?
>>
>> Also, the doc says: "Using a system Python is inherently fragile.
>> Using a clean, freshly-installed Python without customization in
>> site-packages is more robust and repeatable". Does this mean using a
>> "System Python" isn't recommended for production? And how can use a
>> "clean, freshly-installed Python"? What's a "clean, freshly-installed
>> Python" anyway?
>>
>> Again, what I'm after is a Python environment that is fully isolated
>> from the system-wide Python, just like virtualenv --no-site-packages
>> provides?
>

> Noone can help me with this question? Thanks,
>

> --
> Eric Lemoine
>
> Camptocamp France SAS
> Savoie Technolac, BP 352