[Distutils] pkg_resources: Loading resources in a uniform fashion

Alan Franzoni mailing at franzoni.eu
Thu Oct 28 18:18:51 CEST 2010

Hello,

lately I was thinking about writing a kind of factory method for
parsing an url and returning a resource filename or stream, something
like:

fs_resource = load_resource_filename("file:///etc/software/config.conf")
pkg_resource = load_resource_filename("pkg://package.something")

I'd like the first one to just return the file system path
"/etc/software/config.conf", while I'd like the second one one to do
something roughly like

from pkg_resources import resource_filename
return resource_filename("package", "something")

This way it would be pretty easy to get a consistent way to describe a
resource from a stream.

I've got some questions:

1) is there anything around that already does something like that?
2) would you think it to be a good addition for pkg_resources, or
would it go beyond its scope?
3) can you see some obvious issues?
4) how would you handle requirements string?

--
Alan Franzoni