[Distutils] An observation on how system packagers and developers can be friends

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Thu Oct 28 22:50:35 CEST 2010

On Oct 28, 2010, at 02:02 PM, Tres Seaver wrote:

>I like the idea in general, but worry that some conflicts may not be
>resolvable.  For instance, I don't know what goal drives system
>packagers to specify UCS4 over the default UCS2, but I won't ever be
>happy using a Python built that way for long-running, memory-intensive
>applications, where I have measured the overhead of UCS4 and found it
>unacceptable (e.g., a server app whose steady-state process size is
>800Mb under UCS4, compared to 600Mb under UCS2).

We're getting closer to being able to support this more easily upstream with
all the work for exposing abi build flags in shared library and executable
names.  But that won't help you much because it's Python 3. ;)

But I think to the extent that something like this could be backported into
Python 2, it's probably the general approach to take.

All that aside, understanding specifically what a "clean Python" means is a
great first step. ;)

-Barry