[Distutils] --prefix

Nick Leaton nickle at gmail.com
Fri Sep 3 17:46:32 CEST 2010

I had an inkling I might be asking the wrong question.

It relates to releasing an app that has the following features.

1) Internal package
2) A couple of scripts
3) A dependency on an external package/library (Already packaged in its own
right).
4) A couple of dll or equivalent on Unix.

We don't want to install into site-packages, we want to keep that clean. We
would like to install all the above into one directory structure, and set a
python path to poin to the appropriate directory. Almost xcopy installation
if that makes sense.

I can see two ways of doing this.

1. In a temporary build area build up everything and then package it
2. In the install script, as a post_install action install the external
package and the dlls

I'm trying to do the second, and as you say its the prefix for where python
is installed. I could parse the command line, but that smells it has to be
wrong.

Advice please?

Nick

--