[Distutils] bdist_wininst and dependencies with setuptools

P.J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Fri Sep 10 04:13:31 CEST 2010

At 11:46 PM 9/9/2010 +0200, Manlio Perillo wrote:
>Il 09/09/2010 23:03, P.J. Eby ha scritto:
> > At 07:37 PM 9/9/2010 +0200, Manlio Perillo wrote:
> >> I would like to avoid having to create an all in one installer using
> >> pyinstalled; is this possible?
> >
> > No; bdist_wininst doesn't support dependencies.
>
>Is this hard to implement?

Well, you'd need to write some C code, or else implement something in
a Python post-install script.  I'm not sure how difficult that would
be, but it's more effort than I'd personally like to put in.

>What about distutils2?

I don't know if they're working on that.

> >  If you need Windows
> > users to install dependencies, they'll have to use easy_install.  (I'd
> > say "or pip", but pip doesn't support installing pre-built binaries.)
> >

>Using easy_install still requires the user to open the command prompt,
>locate where the easy_install.exe is installed, and run it.
>
>This is what I would like to avoid.

Then py2exe or some other sort of installer is probably your best bet.