[Distutils] [ANN] setuptools post install script for bdist_wininst

P.J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Sat Sep 11 23:22:15 CEST 2010

At 09:48 PM 9/11/2010 +0200, Manlio Perillo wrote:
>Is it possible to put required DLLs inside an egg?

Yes, but they have to be adjacent to any Python extensions (.pyd's)
that use them.

> > 1. A primary reason people have for using bdist_wininst installers is
> > uninstall support, and this approach will leave dependencies behind.
> >

>As far as I know, all dependencies are correctly handled.
>Shortcuts are correctly removed by the uninstall.

But the dependencies installed by easy_install will not get
corresponding uninstall entries in the Windows control panel, and so
will not be uninstalled when the user uninstalls the main application
or library.

>By the way, I tried to install pywin32, but I got:

AFAIK, pywin32 is not easy_install-able due to some post-install
incompatibilities.