[Distutils] [issue115] setup.py = Invalid Syntax

Will setuptools at bugs.python.org
Mon Sep 13 15:33:38 CEST 2010

New submission from Will <william.full.moon at gmail.com>:

I installed Python v3.1.2.

I brought Easy_install via the instructions using CURL and setup.py.

When I wanted to use easy_install to get pySQLite ...

  ** c:\bin\python\v3\scripts\easy_install.exe  -v pysqlite

The install fails.  With a syntax error.  One diagnostic asked for Sphinx.  So I instituted the Sphinx down load.  With the same result (see attached log and error file).

There seems to be a fundamental problem in the Easy_install script, viz:

  File "c:\bin\python\v3\lib\site-packages\distribute-0.6.14-py3.1.egg \setuptools\sandbox.py", line 32, in <lambda>
    ).read(), "setup.py", 'exec'),
  File "setup.py", line 80
    print "Is sphinx installed? If not, try 'sudo easy_install sphinx'."
                                                                       ^
I've tried to capture the error and stdout in the attached log file.

Cheers,
          Will

files: sqlite.log
messages: 546