[Distutils] docs/ vs doc/

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Tue Sep 21 13:57:15 CEST 2010

On Sep 21, 2010, at 01:35 PM, anatoly techtonik wrote:

>I see that distutils2 promotes storing documentation in docs/
>directory while Python sources use Doc/
>I'd like to see this changed before distutils2 is released beta.

What does "promotes" mean?  That only docs/ can be used?

>In my projects checkouts there are 80 project that use doc/
>directories. Among these are:
>- subversion
>- hg
>- sphinx
>- trac
>- scons
>- twisted
>
>docs/ directory is used by 61 project, the most famous are:
>- xalan
>- fop
>- moinmoin
>- cmd2
>- googlecl

So, almost evenly split. :)

I'm with Michael, I prefer docs/ and that's what I use for Mailman and all my
libraries.  It just *seems* righter. ;)

I still don't quite know in what way distutils2 promotes docs/ but I do think
both choices need to be easily supported.  Also for unittest2, since my docs/
directories just happen to also contain tests.

-Barry