[Distutils] distribution name capitalisation considered important ; -)

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Thu Sep 23 10:49:34 CEST 2010

On 20/09/2010 22:16, P.J. Eby wrote:
>> The problem I had was using a file:// to find-links on Windows,
>> whereby setuptools ends up causing os.path.normcase to be called on
>> the distribution name, lowercasing an otherwise perfectly correctly
>> cased distribution name...
>
> ...resulting in what problem?

...downstream tools, zc.buildout in this case, not functioning properly
because their version pinning relies on consistent casing.

Yeah, you could say it's a bug in buildout, but really, when the name is
correct on disk and an intermediary tool decides to screw with the case
for no good reason, I go with pointing the finger at the tool in the
middle ;-)

Chris

             - http://www.simplistix.co.uk