[Distutils] docs/ vs doc/

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Tue Sep 28 15:03:53 CEST 2010

On Sep 27, 2010, at 09:55 AM, Tarek Ziadé wrote:

>>> However, upload_docs
>>> never quite works out of the box for me anyway.  First, it insists
>>> on an index.html file, which my Sphinx builds never seem to write,
>>> so I always have to add a symlink.
>
>Barry, do you mean that you have all files generated by Sphinx but not
>index.html ? That's weird, Sphinx should generate it like the others.

Except that I don't have an index.txt file.  It kind of doesn't make sense.  I
use buildout and have this in my buildout.cfg:

[docs]
recipe = z3c.recipe.sphinxdoc
eggs = mailman [docs]
index-doc = docs/README
default.css =
layout.html =
extensions = sphinxconf

So what I end up doing is symlinking index.html to README.html before I
upload.

>>  Second, it doesn't seem to play nicely with the location
>>> that my buildout-based builds puts the docs, so I always also have
>>> to use --upload-dir.  Yes, it would be nice if both of these
>>> problems were fixed too. Yes, I should report them as bugs (or just
>>> fix 'em ;).
>
>How would you fix the second issue ? e.g. if the docs is not in docs/
>or doc/

That's a good question!  Maybe it's a buildout or recipe issue?

-Barry