[Distutils] [issue126] Windows: easy_install's 'DOS' window closes automatically, error msgs lost

Mike Cowperthwaite setuptools at bugs.python.org
Fri Apr 15 19:39:51 CEST 2011

New submission from Mike Cowperthwaite <mcow at well.com>:

This may be specific to Windows Vista and Windows 7, I think. I am using 64-bit Windows 7; see also this page for similar problem with Vista:
http://catherinedevlin.blogspot.com/2009/08/workaround-easyinstall-windows-vanish.html
It seems that Windows forces easy_install (and pip) to open into a new cmd shell, when run from a command shell. When the install program completes, the cmd shell closes. If there are any problems with the install, the program errors are lost, making troubleshooting difficult.

The hack of elevating to Administrator described there as working under Vista doesn't work for me on W7/64.

I don't expect anyone to figure out how to keep Windows from launching into a new window, but, as a workaround: I'd like a command-line switch I can add to easy_install which would pause at the end of the install and print something like "Hit any key to continue" and then wait for that activity.

messages: 613
nosy: mcow
priority: wish
status: unread
title: Windows: easy_install's 'DOS' window closes automatically, error msgs lost