[Distutils] Need help with a usecase

Eric Smith eric at trueblade.com
Mon Apr 18 15:43:36 CEST 2011

> On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 3:14 PM, Jim Fulton <jim at zope.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 8:28 AM, Arve Knudsen <arve.knudsen at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Hello
>> > I'm new to Buildout and need to figure out how to accomplish a
>> (seemingly)
>> > simple usecase: Install my project from source into an isolated
>> environment.
>> > My project has a Distribute-based setup.py and I'd like to install it
>> and
>> > its dependencies to an isolated environment. I gather this should be
>> doable
>> > using Buildout, but how? I've experimented a bit and read the
>> documentation
>> > on PyPi, but so far I have not succeeded.
>>
>> See:
>>
>>  http://pypi.python.org/pypi/zc.sourcerelease
>>
>> You *might* also find:
>>
>>  http://www.riversnake.com/pycon2011/full/
>>
>> helpful, although it is linux oriented.
>>

> Thanks for the info, Jim, but I honestly still don't see how to accomplish
> my usecase as a whole. The difference I see from the standard Buildout
> usecase is to install (with buildout) from a directory rather than to find
> distribution at e.g. PyPI.

Look at the develop= option in the [buildout] section.

There's a (little) discussion of it here:
http://plone.org/documentation/manual/developer-manual/managing-projects-with-buildout/understanding-buildout.cfg

There are no doubt better references, that was just the first one I came
across.

I use this for testing and developing, but never for deployment.

Eric.