[Distutils] dependencies, pip and non-PyPI-hosted packages

Carl Meyer carl at oddbird.net
Sat Apr 23 01:33:53 CEST 2011

On 04/22/2011 06:09 PM, Ernesto Posse wrote:
> Hmm... OK, I guess I assumed that distribute was extending the
> standard distutils install command to install dependencies, rather
> than pip being responsible. So essentially to take advantage of
> distribute one must use pip?

It extends distutils to do a number of different things (like install
actual metadata, for instance), and it provides the metadata related to
dependencies - but yes, it's easy_install or pip or zc.buildout (thanks
Jim!) that actually makes use of the dependency info to automatically
install things.

> Anyway, is automatic dependency installation going to be a standard
> feature of distutils2?

Yes, d2 will come with a "pysetup" command similar to pip/easy_install
that will handle dependencies.

Carl