[Distutils] easy_install unable to install from sourceforge?

Hartmut Goebel h.goebel at goebel-consult.de
Sun Dec 18 16:32:27 CET 2011

Am 18.12.2011 06:07, schrieb oliver:

>     Processing download
>     error: Couldn't find a setup script in
>     c:\docume~1\schoenb\locals~1\temp\easy_install-m52ynu\download
>
> Downloading
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/pubsub/files/pubsub/3.1.1b1/PyPubSub-3.1.1b1-py2.6.egg/download

The filename is "download", no .egg extension

> Now the same file, after downloading manually:
>
>     C:\Documents and Settings\schoenb\My
>     Documents\Downloads>easy_install "Z:\Documents on
>     Host\PyPubSub-3.1.1b1-py2.6.egg"
>     Processing PyPubSub-3.1.1b1-py2.6.egg

The filename has extension .egg

> So easy_install is unable to process what it gets from sourceforge.
> Again, if I upload that same file to pypi, easy_install will succeed:
>
>     C:\Documents and Settings\schoenb\My
>     Documents\Downloads>easy_install
>     http://pypi.python.org/packages/2.6/P/PyPubSub/PyPubSub-3.1.1b1-py2.6.egg
>     Downloading
>     http://pypi.python.org/packages/2.6/P/PyPubSub/PyPubSub-3.1.1b1-py2.6.egg

The filename has extension .egg

> The following also works:
>
>     C:\Documents and Settings\schoenb\My
>     Documents\Downloads>easy_install
>     "https://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/pubsub/pubsub/3.1.1b1/PyPubSub-3.1.1b
>     1-py2.6.egg"
>     Downloading
>     https://downloads.sourceforge.net/project/pubsub/pubsub/3.1.1b1/PyPubSub-3.1.1b1-py2.6.egg
>     Processing PyPubSub-3.1.1b1-py2.6.egg

The filename has extension .egg

> So again, the main issue is that "easy_install pypubsub" is unable to
> process what it obtains
> from http://sourceforge.net/projects/pubsub/files/pubsub/3.1.1b1/PyPubSub-3.1.1b1-py2.6.egg/download,
> but it is able to process PyPubSub-3.1.1b1-py2.6.egg when obtained
> several other ways.

This *reall* issue is sourceforge adding a "/download" to the URL. I
filed a bug a few years ago, but as expected, it has been ignored.

Nevertheless I once wrote a script for handling this bug. I'll prepre a
patch for easy_install when I find some time.

--
Schönen Gruß - Regards
Hartmut Goebel

Goebel Consult
Spezialist für IT-Sicherheit in komplexen Umgebungen
http://www.goebel-consult.de

Monatliche Kolumne: http://www.cissp-gefluester.de/
Goebel Consult ist Mitglied bei http://www.7-it.de