[Distutils] namespace_packages: include itself ot not include

Roman Kurakin rik at inse.ru
Tue Feb 8 20:29:42 CET 2011

Sorry for top-posting. Since my model was braked, I'll try to explain the
problem from very beginning. I didn't expect that model is totally wrong :-)

There is a package 'aaa.bbb' that uses setuptool only if it is  installed on
the system. This is useful for development, but this breaks rpm build
process cause it expects __init__.py and doesn't expect egg and pth,
more over it ignores them. So in my case there is no egg & pth.

I started to dig if there is possibility to coexists development and
rpmbuild
processes on the same system without very messy spec file. I didn't find
the strict requirements for the package to list itself in a
namespace_package
even if I know that there would be 'aaa.bbb.ccc'. But if I not list it
there, I
can ignore egg&pth files, and in my cases setuptool will behave compatible.

So probably question does it break something if package 'aaa.bbb'
wouldn't list itself in a namespace_package? And does it provide something
useful if package 'aaa.bbb' would?

Best regards,
    rik