[Distutils] distutils & OS X universal binaries

Ronald Oussoren ronaldoussoren at mac.com
Tue Feb 15 13:42:02 CET 2011

On 10 Feb, 2011, at 13:36, Prashant Saxena wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am new on Mac platform. I need to port an application from linux to mac. There
> are couple of custom c-extensions which I am building using cython on linux
> using distutils. It's pretty simple and straight forward there.
> There are couple of things I need to know on Mac platform.
>
> Q1. How do I create custom c-extension (cython & distutils) on mac so that they
> should run on both architecture (ppc & Intel)?

If cython doesn't do anything special: just use a universal build of python to build the extension.

> Q2. I am on 32 bit platform and I have to make sure that deployed package
> (py2app) should execute on 64-bit architecture also.

What is your question?

32-bit binaries will work just fine on system that is 64-bit capable. If you cannot test 64-bit binaries on your machine I'd only ship a 32-bit binary.

> Q3. Mine is Leopard 10.5.5(intel) and default python is 2.5.1 but my app
> requires 2.6.6. How do I build python 2.6.6 in universal binary format?

There are two options:

1) Download the 2.6.6 installer from the python.org website

2) Built it yourself using 'configure --enable-universalsdk=/  MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET=10.5'
     (replace 10.5 by the earliest OSX version you want to support)

Ronald