[Distutils] [buildout] including optional python packages for testing

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Fri Feb 18 10:07:35 CET 2011

Hi All,

I'm using buildout to develop a package that uses sqlalchemy and
sqlalchemy-migrate.

As a result, I'd like to test with various real database drivers; mysql,
postgres, etc.

However, I don't want to force anyone who wants to check out and run the
tests to have all supported database drivers available and compiled.

So, I'm looking for some way of specifying "optional eggs" when running
the buildout, and not in buildout.cfg so they don't accidentally get
checked in.

How can I achieve this?

cheers,

Chris